I take most of the photos for my blog with a beat-up Canon PowerShot G11. It’s an older prosumer camera with a known hardware issue: the control dial for the manual settings will gradually fail, and setting exposure, shutter speed, and manual focus becomes progressively more difficult and eventually impossible.
The fix is pretty simple if you’ve got a small Phillips screwdriver, an electronics cleaning solvent, and some patience. I followed the steps on this forum, and took pictures with my phone as I went along.
Apparently the latest in the PowerShot line doesn’t have this problem, but I’m not one to skip a chance to vivisect a gadget. Also, the discretionary budget for electronics in Casa de Zheng is tapped out.
WARNING: This will void your warranty, might destroy your camera, yadda yadda yadda. Proceed at your own risk. Take the battery out first, so an errant slip of your screwdriver doesn’t short something in the camera.
Tinkering 101 tip: Have an ice cube tray, egg carton, or other segmented container handy to separate the screws for each step.
Step 1: Remove the screw next to the preview button.
Step 2: Remove the screws on the bottom of the camera.
Step 3: Remove the screws on the left side of the camera. The strap harness is a separate piece and will come off easily.
Step 4: Remove the screw on the right side of the camera, next to the AV door.
Step 5: Open the AV door and remove the screw inside.
Step 6: Gently pry open the case with a flat tool and pull the case straight back. Some fiddling may be required to get things apart. There’s a ribbon cable holding things together, so don’t yank too hard.
Step 7: Flip the little tab holding the ribbon cable in place upwards. Be gentle.
Step 8: Remove the clear plastic covering these screws, and then remove the screws. Gently pry the metal piece off, making sure to save the small L-shaped bracket on the lower left.
Here’s the the dial assembly.
Step 9: This is where the magic happens. Lift the front of the dial away from its contact pad a little bit. Don’t try to pop it off, just create some space between the two pieces. Spray your solvent into this space. I just dribbled some isopropyl alcohol in there and then rotated the dial around a bunch of times to clean out the mystery gunk that was causing my dial to fail.
Follow these steps in reverse order to reassemble. I used some packing tape to replace the plastic removed in step 8.
Getting the ribbon cable back into its socket can be a little tricky, but the rest of the case snaps back together in less than a minute.